Updated: 26 October 2016
Terms of Reference
On the 31st May 2012, the First Minister and deputy First Minister announced the agreed Terms of Reference for the Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry and advised the Assembly of the Chair of the Inquiry and the panel members for the Acknowledgement Forum.
On the 18th October 2012, the First Minister and deputy First Minister announced an amendment to the Terms of Reference for the Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry. This amendment allowed for an extension to the relevant period of the inquiry from 1945-1995 to 1922-1995.
There was a further amendment to the Terms of Reference by way of The Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse (Amendement of Terms of Reference) Order (Northern Ireland) 2015 (PDF 28 KB) which came into operation on 11 February 2015 granting the Inquiry an extra year to complete its work.
Legislation and Protocols
On 12th June 2012, the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill and the associated Explanatory and Financial Memorandum were laid before the Assembly. The Bill passed through a number of stages and on the 11th December 2012 the ‘Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill’ was passed by the Assembly. Following Royal Assent the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Act (Northern Ireland) 2013 became law on the 19th January 2013.
The Statutory Rules made under section 21 of the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Act (Northern Ireland) 2013 were laid before the Assembly on the 24th June 2013 and take effect from the 25th July 2013.
Procedures and Guidelines
- Public Prosecution Service - Undertaking (PDF 64 KB) - Undertaking in respect of witnesses providing evidence to the Inquiry. April 2013 and review May 2016.
- Attorney General - Rt Hon Jeremy Wright QC MP (PDF 1004 KB) - Undertaking in respect of witnesses providing evidence to the Inquiry. January 2015
- Application form (ALR1) (updated January 2015) (PDF 253 KB) - This is the form which the Inquiry uses for applications for a grant of legal representation at public expense.
- Template - Legal Costs Invoice (PDF 206 KB) -This revised form (November 2014) should be used by legal representatives submitting an invoice for costs awarded by the Inquiry.
- The Inquiry operates under a Memorandum of Understanding - 2016 (PDF 858 KB) between the OFMDFM and the HIA Inquiry.
- A media protocol (PDF 214 KB) provides guidance to the media
The Chairman's Ruling (PDF 888 KB) made on 4 November 2014 on applications for legal representation in respect of HIA 9, HIA 97 and HIA 154